Monday, January 02, 2006

Writing books is hard

Or at least, sitting down to write them is difficult. I'm normally okay once I get started, but I keep finding better things to do with my time. I was only trying to write a synopsis to send to publishers, but I just can't be bothered. I think it's because I'm trying to persuade someone to give me money for writing this thing, and that turns it into work, and therefore not fun. I'm not sure how to circumvent this problem, really. I could get it published and give all the money to charity, but then that kind of defeats the object of writing the thing in the first place. Perhaps I could say I'm going to give the money to charity and then actually keep it? Conning my subconscious in that way would be pretty clever stuff, I'll give it a try.

Anyway, I've got to go back to real work tomorrow. What a drag. Never mind, at least it'll get me a bit of exercise, cycling there and back. I think I've put on about three stone over Christmas, what with all the sweets and cake lying around the place and no more physical movement than necessary to change the TV channel occasionally.

One person I sympathise with is Sharon off EastEnders. I've been trying to get hooked on it again lately, but I keep forgetting it's on. I've watched a couple of recent episodes, though, and she's gone and had another fiancé killed in shocking circumstances just when they thought they were going to be happy forever. It's only been a couple of years since the last one, poor thing, and she's also had her father return to life and be murdered in the meantime. If it was me, I'd want to move away from Albert Square and settle somewhere more peaceful, like Baghdad.

No comments: