Friday, January 06, 2006

Party time

It's Crispy's 21st birthday party tomorrow. This is both a good and bad thing, I think. Good not only because she's my best friend and we always have fun when we get together, but also because it's got to be a good thing to be invited to 21st birthday parties of trendy young women when you get to my advanced age - this is the second one in less than a year, after Shahin's last May or whenever it was.

The bad bit is the mental arithmetic the existence of this 21st birthday makes me do. When I first met Crisp, she was 14 and I'd just turned 23. So any reminiscences along the lines of "wow, how many years have we known each other now?" lead inexorably to the horrific milestone that's lying in wait for me in October.

But enough of that kind of thinking. An impending party leads to more mundane thought processes, like should I have a haircut tomorrow morning? It's been two or three months since the last one, and it's getting a bit on the long side, even with my famously non-growing, sparse hair. But on the other side, it's not really as long and ugly-looking as I usually let it grow before getting it cut. Maybe I'll leave it. I definitely need to trim my beard, though - it doesn't look nearly as good when I grow it long as it used to, because the white hairs seem to grow much longer than the others. Sigh, I'm definitely too old.

No comments: