Thursday, September 30, 2021

Not a sound from the pavement

So, what's happening in the world of memory competitions lately? Well, live ones are starting to pop up again, but for the most part it's all been about Memory League this past year or so.

I've talked on here many times about the coolness of Memory League, but for 2021 we've had a more formal structure to the friendly online play than existed before - each season of the league is followed by an epic knockout 'Slam' tournament over the course of a weekend, which to make it fair each happen in a different time zone. We've already had the Pan-American Open (eight hours behind British time) in May and the Asian-Oceanian Open (eight hours ahead) in August, and the African-European Open happens in November - no need to compete in the middle of the night that time, if I qualify for it.

And qualifying for these things is tough - it's sixteen competitors, and I scraped into the last one as sixteenth seed, which is probably close to the best I can hope for here as well. So many people in the world are so much better at memorising things than I am, nowadays. But I'll keep my loyal bloglings, if any, informed about what's happening, and how to follow all the action on the always-exciting live streams!

No comments: