Friday, January 08, 2010

I've been to Frimley Green

Why does Martin Adams keep winning at darts when he can't hit doubles? Or is it just that whenever I turn the telly on, he gets nervous and starts missing? Because he seems to do a lot better whenever I'm not watching him. Perhaps I'm just intimidating to darts players in general.

Also, whatever happened to those groovy displays they used to have of giant dartboards with lights that would be turned on in a position roughly corresponding to where the dart hit the board? They were extremely cool, but it's all TV screens nowadays. Did they all end up on a tip somewhere? I'll have to go and look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd hazard a guess that they've been shuffled off to secondary darts venues with county tournaments and the like - the video screens are seen, rightly or wrongly, as an improvement. Afternoon darts on BBC 2 today had a 9-minute film with footage of 9-dart finishes, with film from venues in the Netherlands where darts tournaments have video screens with all manner of flashy graphics. Darts tournaments in Netherlands also seem to announce the scores in English, or at least the iconic 180.