Friday, August 04, 2006

My boomerang won't come back

The TV channel Boomerang is in its annoying "Scooby Summer" mode at the moment. This means that it quite literally shows nothing but Scooby Doo cartoons every single day from 6am to 9pm. I'm all in favour of a bit of Scooby every now and then (I even like Scrappy), but I can't imagine what makes them think people want to watch it constantly every single day. It's just plain silly. Hopefully they'll revert to normal again when it stops being summer.

There's also a free plastic boomerang with this week's Beano. I'd rather like to be able to throw a boomerang (in the sense of throwing the thing in such a way that it comes back, I mean), but I have a feeling that it would take a bit of practice, and practice of the kind that has to be done in wide open spaces. And I'm not self-confident enough to do that kind of thing somewhere where people can see me. So barring a trip to the Sahara desert or Antarctica, I suppose boomeranging is just not a skill I'm ever going to acquire. It's a darn shame, because imagine how cool it would be to be out in the park, nonchalently pick up a boomerang that someone's left lying around and throw it in a perfect curve. Then wander off while everyone goes ooh and aah and who was that handsome boomerangist?

4 comments:

Dennis said...

They'll happily yield their entire schedule to Scooby Doo for the summer, yet they won't show one single Looney Tunes cartoon throughout the entire year? Fire those idiot programmers!

Zoomy said...

Actually, the British version of Boomerang is much better for Looney Tunes than its American counterpart - when Scooby hasn't taken over, they show two or three hours of Looney Tunes a day. Even now there are four of them every morning at 5:30, before those meddlesome kids move in.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I hate scrappy.

He is the quintessential ratings booster - shamelessly recruited to stem the tide of public indifference.

Go out boomeranging.

It sounds brilliant

Anonymous said...

Have you waved the thing all over the place?
Have you practiced until you were black in the face?