Monday, July 17, 2006

And when I'm drunk I dance like me dad

I've recently developed a habit of going around in a shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the neck wide open, and whenever I see myself in a mirror I think "Wow, I look cool like this!" I'm quite consciously aware that I only think this because that's how my dad always used to dress, but the way I see it if I'm happy with the way I look, that's the only thing that matters. It's not like any objective observer is going to think I look cool or stylish or handsome whatever I'm wearing.

Anyway, today I had lots of time to go around like that, because getting home from work was more of a hassle than usual. Because of the usual three or four different and contradictory excuses, there were no trains running at all tonight - the guy in the little room at Burton station who gives announcements on the tannoy eventually just said that he had no idea when the next train would be arriving, and recommended that we all get the bus instead. And the bus from Burton to Derby goes all round the houses through Tutbury and Hatton and Hilton and anywhere else you can think of and takes an hour to cover the ten-miles-as-the-crow-flies. All of which meant that I left my bike at the train station so I'll have to walk down to Derby station tomorrow. My life is one earth-shattering disaster after another, isn't it?

I did contemplate cycling home all the way from Burton - it would possibly be good for me, and it would be fun to see if I can still cycle ten miles without dropping dead (I used to do it twice a day at one time). But eventually sanity prevailed - I don't actually know the way, I always get lost when I try to follow road signs, it's all A-roads where I'd get knocked down by speeding cars or back roads where I'd get knocked down by wild farm animals, and the sun was blazing away like nobody's business on the hottest day of the year, and me without a hat. I also contemplated getting a taxi, but thought better of that kind of extravagance.

No comments: