Thursday, April 13, 2006

I've got a great job

My boss bought everyone in the department a Cadbury's creme egg! It's the little things that impress me, you see. I'd rather have a creme egg every now and then than a pay rise and more responsibility.

One thing that does bug me, though - our accounting system allocates a sequential number to each journal entry processed, and I really wanted to be the one to post batch number 300000, but I just missed it. Ah well, I'll aim for 333333 in however many months it will take to get up to that number...

In the world of memory, we've just got the dates confirmed for the German championship - July 14-15, in a place I've never heard of called Heilbronn. If memory serves, last year's championship was the first thing of note that I wrote about in this here blog, so maybe I can celebrate my first anniversary by winning it. Well, maybe I won't win it, since they don't do translations of the words and things, but I want to put in a good performance this time round - the last two years I've done very badly in Germany, and I'd hate it to become a tradition. And this is the major preparation for the world championship as a rule, although there might be a British championship this year in August if we're lucky. But the German championship is where I get to see how much the likes of Clemens and Gunther have improved since last year, and start to formulate strategies for how good I'll have to be to beat them.

They're both coming to Cambridge, of course, and they'll probably be in one of the regional German championships too, but those are too short and throwaway to really give a measure of the kind of form they're in. Besides, Cambridge is sure to be a complete disaster.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clarification needed? Your boss purchased one egg for everyone, or each person received an egg?

Do you know if there is any truth in the current rumour of Hancock participating in Malaysia?

Zoomy said...

That's a rumour that hasn't reached me yet. I'll go around spreading it until someone tells me whether it's true or not.

And yes, an egg each. Although it might have been a better team-building exercise to make us share one...

Sam said...

I've been through Heilbronn on the train.

It's on the way to my family in Karlsruhe, sort of near to Stuttgart.