Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A horrible dilemma

Tonight's European football matches kick off in fifteen minutes, and I still haven't decided which one to watch. Arsenal or Liverpool? Arsenal will probably be the more exciting game, but on the other hand Liverpool will either win conclusively and get anyone watching it feeling all patriotic, or lose embarrassingly and provide perverse entertainment for me tomorrow with my Liverpool-supporting colleagues.

But then, I watched Liverpool on Saturday, against Man U, so in the interests of impartiality I probably should watch Arsenal tonight. But then again, I generally prefer watching Liverpool for some reason. And yes, I watched a whole football game while my football-hating brother was my guest. I'm a terrible host, aren't I?

Seeing as there's footy on telly, I've skipped my usual memory practice tonight. I don't know if I've mentioned it here before (as that would involve remembering things, which I'm surprisingly bad at), but I'm definitely organising a memory competition at the MSO in Cambridge on May 7th. All I need to do now is finalise the format - I'd made up a six-discipline, suitable-for-complete-beginners kind of competition, mindful of not having enough time for a full championship-standard event, even the quickest kind, but it turns out there's a new-style event that has recently been invented by Gunther, with lots of five-minute disciplines.

Had Gunther been the only one to point this out to me, I would just have ignored it (he irritates me a tiny bit, so I tend to be prejudiced against his ideas - and besides, I objectively don't like such short disciplines anyway), but Simon Orton, who doesn't irritate me at all and whose opinions I respect, suggested it too. So I put it up as a poll on the memorysports forum, confident that the regular posters there (who are all the people I think of as 'my gang') would vote for the choice I said I preferred. But it turns out that the majority seem to like the horrid new event better than my idea, so I'm just going to have to go along with that and organise the nasty thing. Ah well...

No comments: