Friday, January 13, 2006

The view from the train

On Central Trains, the space for bicycle storage is right next to the toilet. So more often than not when I take the train, I end up sitting on a seat in the corner of the differently-shaped carriage, with a limited view out the window and a difficult job avoiding watching people going into the toilet and looking around trying to find the button that closes the door. I'm starting to get into the habit of trying to guess from the person's face how long it'll take them to find the button - I've yet to see anyone who knows where it is before they go in, strangely enough. Maybe the embarrassment of standing around in a train toilet cubicle trying to work out how to shut the door means that nobody ever uses those toilets more than once in their life?

Moving on to slightly more interesting subjects, what I need is someone to shuffle cards for me. I've just spent ages shuffling them in preparation for some practice tomorrow, and I've still only got twenty done. If I just do it quickly, you see, the cards are still in a similar kind of order to when I memorised them last time round, and that's horribly confusing. So I have to do a really thorough job of it, which takes ages.

Oh, and speaking of memory, the new series of Child Of Our Time starts this weekend, or some time soon anyway, it might be Monday. Don't know when (or if) my bit's on, but I'd appreciate it if nobody watched it, because I'm pretty sure I come across as a useless idiot, and not in a good way. They might have decided to drop the whole bit, of course - I would have if I was the producer.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Can't you get one of those electric card shufflers?

I don't often have the need to shuffle cards, but I'd quite like to have one on my desk just to play with now and again.

Sam said...

I sat through the whole thing too.

Wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't mentioned it...you'd best be on there now!

Zoomy said...

I just looked on the BBC website, and the learning-themed episode is programme 4 of the series, to be shown on February 5th. It doesn't mention me, though, so no promises...