Friday, June 07, 2024

Performing Arts

I'm an actor now, you know. The puppet show on the bank holiday went very well, in fact! I'm not sure my acting and puppeteering skills were first-class, but I think I achieved "almost acceptable", or "not totally disastrous" at any rate. And I had fun doing it, which is the important thing! Indeed, the director observed that the soundtrack consisted mainly of me giggling into the mic, but that's clearly the fault of the writers for making it so funny.

"Oh look, it's a Housepets reference!" See, I would share video footage of the show, but it's kind of 'special interest' - not in the way you might be thinking a puppet show at a furry convention might be, but just because it's aimed at an audience who would naturally say that line when they see someone with a paper bag on their head.

Although to be fair the majority of the script was a combination of classical references to Greek mythology and excessively nerdy technological jokes, so perhaps it's more exclusive to geeks rather than furries...



Anyway, the point is, Blogger just reminded me of this old post in which I talk about performing in front of a live studio audience for the first time (and a really great trip to Dublin that I'd almost entirely forgotten). I've appeared in front of an audience other times since then, but it's never been something I've done regularly or been particularly good at. I've probably got better at ignoring whether or not they laugh at my jokes since then, but it's still hard to forget they're there. This time, though, I was performing a script written by someone else, and it was a lot of fun to see which lines got a big reaction!

I need to find more acting gigs. It needs to be my new thing.

No comments: