Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Nations

One thing I'll admit to thinking is quite cool is the Nations League football. If it was on a TV channel I could justify paying money for, I'd watch it all the time. I'm excited to see what happens when Gibraltar play Lithuania.

I like the excessively complicated rules about rankings and things that come with it - it's a competition that appeals to the nerdy mindset, maybe just because of the pure pointlessness of the whole thing. I like the expanded play-off system that will take up the international break in March 2025, and especially the attempt to make excuses for it on the official website - "The expansion of the UEFA Nations League into the International Match Calendar window of March will only concern a selected number of teams and the remaining teams will already be available to start the European Qualifiers."

By my count, the "selected number of teams" will be 28 of the 54 European "nations". That's got to put a bit of a dent into the qualifiers for the world cup. But I'm sure it'll all work out nicely. And maybe a proper TV station will get the rights one of these days!

But in the meantime, here's something else that everyone should be watching - Norwell the weasel and his husband, an ensouled coat, have got their own cartoon spin-off from the Charlie the Unicorn saga! Honestly, I love FilmCow's YouTube channel possibly even more than football games between Gibraltar and Lithuania!

No comments: