Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I think my head's screwed on backwards

I'm having disturbing feelings of optimism about the new government of this country (I'm sure I'll get over it, don't you worry), and equally disturbing feelings of pessimism about memory competitions, mental calculation competitions and so on. I need to either find something else I can strive to be world champion at (because let's face it, life is meaningless unless you're at least trying to be some kind of world champion) or really make more of an effort to hold on to the memory title. But I'm still not really feeling like it. Consequently, tonight I'm watching the football and quietly enthusing about several very nice bits of the coalition agreement. Possibly I'm sickening for something.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a grip, Zoomy. Think of your fans!

? said...

.

nELSON said...

Hey Ben,
it sucks to hear how your feeling about memory competitions and stuff. I can imagine after being at the head of the pack for so long, it can be hard to find the motivation to maintain it. But who knows, maybe you (hate to say it) need to lose so that you'll come back with a brand new invented Ben System and revolutionize the whole sport again next year! Anyways, an Olympic-swimmer friend of mine recently told me, in relation to his training for the Olympics - 'If you don't do it, someone else will.' Which is so true. There's no big deal in not trying to do your best at something, but someone else WILL do their best. If you don't win again this year, someone else WILL. So if you want to win it, then you gotta just do it. You OWN this sport Ben! If you want the title again you just have to practice. For me and a lot of other people, we can't just practice and expect to win (and I practice a LOT! haha!). You, on the other hand, have awesome talent and are in a great position to win again. I'm rooting for you man. I know you can win it ;)

Katy said...

I hope the lack of blog last night is because you had something wildly exciting to do (and tell us about afterwards) and not because it turned out you actually were sickening for something?

Anonymous said...

Do you still have your keyboard? Still have your cape? Do you still have access to large amounts of beer? Umm...combine them with your unique vocals and go on X-Factor! You can become a world champion entertainer. And may I suggest a stage name for this spectacular, Bensun Boylemore.

SamT said...

You're worried as Ant & Dec have seemingly taken over Westminster, I know that feeling myself!!

Zoomy said...

Actually, I have been a bit worried about sickening for something - one of the kids who read to me on Tuesday lunchtimes has just had chickenpox, and I've never had it. I never considered the perils of childhood diseases when I took on that job...