Saturday, March 13, 2010

Turned out nice again

After all my whining yesterday, the weather was actually quite nice today, and almost warm - certainly nice enough to cycle from Leicester to Oadby without dropping dead. The othello was fun, too, we had eight players, more clocks than we knew what to do with (we could have built them into a little tower, now I come to think of it, but that didn't occur to me at the time) and I won most of my games, drawing with Iain in the first round and just making a mess of things against Andrew to ensure that I ended up second instead of joint-first.

There was also the traditional lunch in the excellent pub down the road (The Old Library, which is right next door to the current Oadby library, so I don't understand why they bothered to move it), where I impressed our newcomer Rob with my status of world memory champion, and then even more so when a stranger at the bar recognised me and said hello.

And, since it's so nearby, I got home nice and early and didn't have to get up early in the morning. All othello tournaments should be like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this explains why it moved: http://www.inloughborough.com/news/095222/New%20library%20opens%20in%20Oadby

Also Helen seemed to get exposed to Hoffal's Radiation, which causes someone to age quite quickly (from Blake's 7 I think). Her profiles on a number of social networking sites give her age as 28. Yet she seems to own a bus pass for someone over 60 - with the blue stripe down the right hand side.