Friday, March 26, 2010

Assorted announcements

1) My mention of the abstract-image-shuffling-Excel-spreadsheet-practice-tool-thing a couple of days ago has provoked a worldwide response from the USA, Germany, China and Wales, so if anyone else wants it, you can download it here.

Files uploaded by people who are too cheap to pay rapidshare.com for 'premium membership' can only be downloaded ten times, I think, so it's first six come, first six served, and if you're too late, let me know and I'll upload it again. Or maybe you could upload it to your own website, if you've got one. It's shareware, or freeware, or whatever the word is. Underware, maybe.

2) Should I stand for election as a Monster Raving Loony Party candidate in May? I was looking at their website earlier, and frankly I don't think they're anywhere near loony enough these days. I think I'd be a great success.

3) 31.61(X), 29.03(X), 31.38(X); 3:44.53; 5:17.30/414/200; 8:28.06/1350.
Definitely starting to burn out a little, made mistakes on all three speed cards, and lots and lots of blanks in the speed numbers. But my theory is that if I keep going, I'll get through this barrier and out the other side to a magical land where I'm better than ever before.

4) I think I'm going to have to go to the Mental Calculation World Cup, just because I almost decided not to today, in case it interfered with my memory training. I used to have a reputation as someone who competed in everything, whether I'm good at it or not, but it's ages since I took part in a mind sports competition that wasn't memory or othello. So Magdeburg here I come (in June). Who lives in Magdeburg? I know someone who's from there, I'm sure. Oh, hey, it's Johannes! Groovy, that's another good reason to go there!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah you should enter the memory competition and see if you can win some money in pounds (GBP) lol. So what other contests have you entered besides memory competitions?

Boris said...

Hannes will be in Stuttgart at that time, since the South German Memory Championships are on June, 5th.

Even though you can not win it because of the rules, you are allowed to enter as a guest as well!
We might have people from Switzerland and Austria too.


Boris

Boris said...

Actually I just saw, that the Calculation World Cup is Sunday, Monday and our event on Saturday.

That sounds like an opportunity ;)

Philodoof said...

What an event will be in Magdeburg?

Anonymous said...

Could you please upload abstract images file again, as it has probably reached upload limit?

It must have been hard work to prepare it.

Zoomy said...

The University of Magdeburg is hosting the Mental Calculation World Cup, and you can see details here (in English, German, or whatever language you like).

The Excel file has been re-uploaded here (I was surprised how quickly it reached the download limit!) or alternatively it's now permanently hosted on Boris's Brainboard here.

Anonymous said...

I have no workable knowledge of spreadsheets, what do I do once I open the file in the spreadsheet?

Zoomy said...

Go to Tools, Macros and run Macro2. Or, if you're using Excel 2007, it's Developer, Macros. And the Developer toolbar is hidden by default, because Excel 2007 is stupid.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Zoomy.