Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I haven't done enough training!

Cripes, it's the UK Memory Championship in two-and-a-bit weeks! I need to seriously practice this weekend and next! I've got a title to defend! Actually, I don't know who's coming (early estimates suggested that every memory person I know was planning to turn up, but I haven't spoken to anyone for a while), whether there are prizes (I'd be happy with a cool trophy like last year's, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at another free trip to Bahrain if there's one going), where I'm going to stay (nasty hotel down the road from the venue, or nice but stupidly expensive one across the road? Probably neither and a bed-and-breakfast in Crawley because it's the nearest place with a room free when I finally get round to booking) or whether I'll be able to go to the Monday-morning prizegiving ceremony (might have to work that day) and whether the WMSC will officially strip me of my title if I'm not (probably not - I think I'm in their good books at the moment, or at least their indifferent books. I haven't accidentally offended anyone for weeks. As far as I know.)

This is what I get for missing the German championship. Everybody else probably had a whale of a time there, talking about all these things, and talking about me behind my back. Although they could have talked about me even while I was there, if they did it in German, and I still would have been none the wiser. I don't think I've spoken a word of German for more than a year now. I'm probably even worse at it now than I was before.

Right! Practice! And if you're reading this and you're going to the UK championship, post a comment and let me know! Keep me informed!

2 comments:

Boris said...

I will take part.
And I expect at least 4 more Germans.

So its up to you Brits, take part or do you really want your own championships dominated by Germans? ;-)

I stay in the Stamford Street Apartment Rooms but I do not know if any more rooms are available.

Anonymous said...

It's rather amusing to see once again that while the others are working hard to compete at the championships, Ben once again leaves it till the very last minute! and you will still kick Ass!

I think you should be made to live with Gunther and do at least 19hrs a day practice on a treadmill, in front of a laptop, and with his missus handing out flash cards with the PC shouting out binary! lol and then you can dominate the Worlds every year and become the Arnold of Memory!