Tuesday, May 27, 2008

All good Things...

I've been thinking. I've been told off more than once just lately for certain ill-advised blog entries of mine, and it's making me think that I should either a) stop occasionally saying cruel and hurtful things about people or institutions; or b) start blogging in a slightly less public way.

So I'm considering moving Zoomy's Thing to my LiveJournal account (which exists solely in order to access certain people's friends-only journals), setting it to friends-only and accepting friend requests from anyone who chooses to make one. That way everyone who wants to read my ramblings will still have a chance to, this site will still be here so new readers will still be able to stumble across it and then read the further adventures on LJ, and if I, for example, choose to mercilessly mock a school's website's punctuation and philosophy, I'll be able to do so without them relaying reprimands to me via Phil at memory competitions.

What do my loyal readers think about the pros and cons of this approach? I know some of you are the shy, retiring types who might not want to create a LJ account, friend me and thus identify yourself, but I assure you it won't be any trouble. Besides, this is post number 976 on Blogger, and I think it would be cool to finish here on a nice round 1000, and move over to a brand new adventure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In thinking about it, to be completely honest; if the work to gain access to your blog increases to more than one click to a previously entered bookmark, your blog most likely will become dead to me.

Anonymous said...

Crikey! I didn't realise you were on LJ. I haven't personally had any bad experiences with this, but putting controversial content behind Friends-lock is not necessarily the guarantee of security that you appear to believe it is. :-) Depends how many Friends you have and how trustworthy they are, I guess.

Zoomy said...

I'm only on LJ as a technicality in order to read a few friends-only journals, I've never posted anything there. And I'm not aiming for complete security with this move, just the freedom to occasionally be rude about companies or establishments without word getting back to them what I'm saying...

Mike said...

Mike-inho:

If you had your own web site then.
You could display your Blogger blog in a frame of your main web site page.
You could learn about javascript cookies and have a counter of how many times a
particular computer has visited your web page. After 10 loyal visits,
the javascript could present a different web page to the visitor:
with Blogger in a frame on the left and your own private comment on the right PLUS
advice to the visitor to note that this is a different entry page to the site.
BUT to stop human resources from googling and finding your extra web page of private
information, you need to learn about HTML headers and how you can prevent search engines
from scanning your web page if you put a special meta tag thingy at the top of the page.

The result?
You continue to use blogger BUT regular visitors get extra information which
human resources will not find easily.

Extra benefit: Your site can have a menu and articles and cool stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

I´ll join what ever webpage is needed to read your blog, as long as its free!