Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dedication, that's what you need

Thank you for all the silliness, it's great to know that I can give orders like that and people will obey me. It's like being the King, only without having to wear posh clothes and eat swans.

Right, now that I know people aren't taking me seriously, I'll talk seriously about memory stuff. I really want to get back into proper training, but there's something just missing in the motivation department. I'm not sure why that would be - it's not like I won the WMC this year, so you'd think I'd be motivated to try to win it next time, but apparently not. I haven't even done a speed cards for a couple of weeks now, Blue Peter and OMC last Saturday aside.

It's annoying, because I'm pretty sure from past experience that I'm going to get to a point eventually when I want to get back into it, and I know that the longer I leave it, the longer it'll take when I do start again to get my mind adjusted to long periods of concentration. I know it's much too early to worry about these things, but I feel like if I don't keep the practice ticking over starting around now, I won't be on top form again next summer and autumn in the competitions. Gah, the intricate workings of my brain - I both want to and don't want to practice right now, so I'm never going to be satisfied.

A competition would be good right now, actually - something next month that I could go to and get back in the memory-championship mood. We need more competitions, I'm always saying it, I know, but it's true. It'd be great to revive the Memory World Cup next year, wouldn't it?

5 comments:

Boris said...

On his recent visit to Bahrain Tony Buzan met with Intelnacom, the sponsors of the 2007 World Memory Championships and has signed the contract with Dr Hoefer to confirm the venue for the 2008 competition. The dates are now confimred as 23rd to 26th October 2008.

Boris said...

www.worldmemorychampionships.com

The first change already. Two weeks ago it said 30th October to 2nd November 2008 or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Ben, you are a natural tallent in memory so you can relax and let Gunther and others after an amazing effort to breake your records.

I guess you have no option but make full change in your routine!
You see Boris?
I am sugesting him to use your technique. i SENT HIM a list of images in his language.

Can you picture his score using your techniques ?

Anonymous said...

BORIS
and BEN

What are your 100 best images ?
and journeys ?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could give yourself extra financial motivation to prepare by placing a sufficiently large bet on yourself to win the next WMC? You could probably find one of the bookmakers who'd be willing to quote some odds - like the stories of parents betting that their kids will get all As at GCSE and so on - though I'd be surprised if they'd offer you anything like what you might consider fair odds.