Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Door-to-door kidneys

I need to pay more attention to what I'm agreeing to do. Kidney Research UK asked me to help raise money for them, and I thought it was selling raffle tickets. Turns out it's putting little envelopes through doors on this street, and then going round a few days later to ask for them back, preferably bulging with money. I'm not sure I can do this. Pestering people I know to buy raffle tickets is fine, but going round to strangers' houses and demanding money?

It'll have to wait till I get back from Germany, anyway. I'm busy working out how I'm going to write this 50,000 word novel before the end of November - I've been busy tonight getting my stuff ready for tomorrow, then I'm up at the crack of dawn to get the plane, the next four days are crammed with wholesome activities, then Monday I'm coming home, and Tuesday I'm back at work. I'll take a pen and paper with me and do some frantic scribbling, but I'm going to be playing catch-up on the 1667 words a day for the rest of the month.

I know what I'm going to write though. It's tentatively called "Sympathy", and it's a proper serious book. I can't write things that aren't silly and nonsensical - when I try, I always hate how it comes out, so this exercise will hopefully cure me of the tendency to give up just because what I've written is rubbish. This is an important ability for any writer.

No comments: