Sunday, January 22, 2006

Should I rethink my "no editing" policy?

I've just noticed that a character in last night's drivel is called Waterfield in the first paragraph and Wilberforce in the second. This seems like a pretty basic memory lapse, and possibly something I should be worried about, but I'm not going to bother to change it after making a big fuss the other night about how I don't like to go back and edit old posts. I'll just make the excuse that I wrote last night's entry a few words at a time, in between games in an othello tournament on Kurnik, so there was probably at least ten minutes between the first time I wrote the guy's name and the second.

In other news, I seem to be getting a heck of a lot of those scam emails about millions of dollars in a bank account in Burkina Faso, just lately. Do they think that if they send me dozens of the things, I'm more likely to think that one of them is genuine? They don't even seem to put as much effort into the things as they used to - I had a personalised one once, in which the millionaire who'd died overseas had the same surname as me. That was the kind of friendly touch that I appreciate - it makes the thing seem more like a finely-crafted work of art rather than purely a cynical attempt to con people out of their hard-earned cash.

Another thing that annoys me, while I'm in the mood to whine about anything and everything, is that guy who presents the snooker on the BBC. I forget his name. I try to avoid seeing premiership football scores at the weekend until I've watched Match of the Day in the evenings, and normally it's safe to watch snooker on Grandstand, because although they put latest scores up on the screen every now and then, they give you advance warning first so you can look away (or in my case keep watching but over the top of my glasses so I can't read the writing on the screen). But at the mid-session interval today, this presenter, whatever he's called, started off talking about someone else, and then apropos of nothing changed subject and rattled off the score in one of today's games. I'd send him hate mail, only that might upset him.

Hey, it's fun complaining about trivial things! I'd do it some more, but I'd worry about becoming one of those people who write in to newspapers. Assuming people still do that - I don't read newspapers, so I'm basing my assumption on the fact that people still make jokes about the kind of people who write in to newspapers. Possibly nowadays they've all got the internet and they just put it in their blogs.

No comments: