Thursday, November 03, 2005

I hope this old train breaks down

I've now been commuting to Burton-on-Trent for three days, and I've yet to go there or back on a train that was running on time. Today was particularly good - the 8:27 this morning was cancelled, "due to a fault with the train", and the 8:38 was five minutes late, but that doesn't count as late as far as the train companies are concerned (their statistics showing how many trains run late only count those delayed by more than ten minutes), so they didn't bother with an explanation, let alone an apology. Then tonight the 5:20 was 27 minutes late, "due to vandalism and trespassing on the line at Chepstow". So I got the 5:43, which was running on time, but I'm not counting that.

I don't have to go up to Cheadle tomorrow, so I get to work in my actual office for the first time. They have dress-down days on Fridays in Burton, which doesn't really thrill me. It's not that I like dressing up in a suit and tie, but if I don't dress like an accountant, I have a hard time pretending to be one. Besides, everybody else will have cooler casual clothes than me. And should I wear my Zoom-Zoom t-shirt, or one of the ones without big holes in?

I've just discovered a great webcomic I haven't read before - Mullein Fields. I've only read the first few strips, and it's a bit of an Ozy and Millie clone, but done well enough that I don't mind. Go and read it, I'm sure you'll like it.

4 comments:

Sam said...

I think a dress-down day still precludes anything with holes in. Especially in your first week.

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I appreciate the plug for "Mullein Fields", sir, but I do resent the inference that I am shadowing the "Ozy and Millie" strip. How can I copy something that I don't even read?

Zoomy said...

I do apologise, Dennis. I'd just assumed that Mullein Fields was inspired by O&M, because they are quite similar in tone, content and feel. I do consider 'like Ozy and Millie' to be a very good thing, though, so I hope I haven't offended you too much. And I do love Mullein Fields! I'll put a plug in tonight's blog entry without any libellous allegations of plagiarism.

Anonymous said...

No need to apologize, I wasn't offended. I've been given the "Ozy and Millie" reference a number of times before, and I guess it's made me defensive because I want "Mullein Fields" to stand on its own. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "resent"...

All that aside, I still greatly appreciate your kind words per my comic strip. And I hope you will stay tuned for its return in December!