Friday, August 19, 2005

Chinese whispers

Actually, I think that title is politically incorrect nowadays, so I apologise. Also, sorry that the content of this entry is once again themed around the subject of me appearing in newspapers. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's all over and done with now, so this'll be the last one.

But the Derbyshire Evening Telegraph have a big long story about me again this year. It's mostly a reworking of the story they did last year, with added new details borrowed from the BBC News website, which had published a somewhat garbled brief story based on the official press release before the competition. To top it off, the reporter phoned me at work and asked a couple of questions, then quoted me as saying something else entirely. I'm intrigued by some of the things attributed to me - none of the things in quotation marks are actually what I said, although they're mostly vaguely similar paraphrases. I never said anything like "I had to book an extra day's holiday off work just to recover," though.

Even more fun, they repeat the BBC story's claim that "As well as making sure their brains are finely tuned, competitors have to ensure they are at maximum fitness levels." Which I really don't.

But the best of all is the fantastic photo (reused from last year) of me looking particularly scary. Check it out. Maybe I could make a new career in horror movies?

And no, I haven't done my CV or anything. Tomorrow. And then next week everyone reading this can thrill to my adventures in job-seeking.

No comments: