Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Look North

"Look North" was the local counterpart of East Midlands Today that I got when I was living in Boston. I never really understood why it was called Look North. It covered Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, which is kind of up in the north, so why would the people watching it want to look north? The only thing up there is Newcastle and Scotland and the Arctic. There's more things to see if you look south, or east, or west.

Anyway, East Midlands Today was kind of like a dumbed-down version of the Central Tonight interview - they gave me the whole of the sports news to memorise a pack of cards, and then only had me recite precisely six of them before making impressed noises. Other than that it was just the usual questions, although at least this time the studio was just around the corner from work, rather than in Birmingham.

Speaking of Birmingham, tomorrow I'm flying from there to Zurich, and thence by train to Tuttlingen. Then a day's sightseeing in Stuttgart, assuming I can escape Nick and his camera, then two days of memorising against the world's best. Woohoo! See you (and by that I mean write a blog that you will subsequently read) on Sunday, unless I find a net cafe and the time to blog while I'm there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck!

Mike Carroll said...

Good job again Ben!

Here's the shortened video of the East Midlands Today interview:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJq9MABRSBM

The quality is *far* better than the website feed. I had a nice bloke that I found on IRC to capture it for me =).

In case you missed it, here's his central news video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yp9qF-SjJZk

Enjoy!
Cheers!