Sunday, October 08, 2006

Five more days to go, five more days of sorrow

Although I'm not properly leaving work at the end of next week, it's still a symbolic kind of ending (I've persuaded everyone that I don't need a leaving do until I actually leave, at least). And I'm not hugely looking forward to next week because I've got more work to do tomorrow than is humanly possible, but never mind. I'll cross that bridge when I can't run away from it any more and it tracks me down and jumps on me like bridges do.

Also, I watched the first episode of the new Robin Hood last night and I didn't think it was very good. I don't see why they needed to devote the whole first episode to setting up the story - everyone knows the plot already, they could have just hit the ground running and done flashbacks throughout the series. Then we might have had something a bit more exciting to start off with. You really need to get the merry men on screen before the last two seconds. And the dialogue is pretty terrible - the writer in an interview said "most of the time they talk in believable medieval", which he seems to think means talking in normal English without contractions (will not instead of won't, and so on). Which of course sounds like stilted dialogue without conveying any sense of the medieval.

And there's no excuse for dropping Friar Tuck.

No comments: