Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dragon's pocket adventures

I haven't got a wallet, but I have got a big stack of credit cards and things that I carry around in my pocket at all times. Today, for the first time in ages, I had a look at the 'and things' and realised how long it's been since I threw the useless things away. It's mostly business cards that people keep giving me at memory championships (half the people there have some kind of memory-related business and use the competition as a good excuse to hand out business cards). So just in case anyone's interested, here's the inventory of what's in my pocket:

Maestro card

Train season ticket

Bank of Scotland preference account debit card (I haven't used the account in years)

Monument Visa card (occasionally use it online when a site won't take Maestro)

National Insurance Numbercard (I've been carrying this around in my pocket since I turned 16. Perhaps I should take it out and put it in a drawer somewhere - I know the number off by heart)

Business card for Samantha Birkinshaw of Michael Page Recruitment (She was the one who got me the job at Parkhouse, I think. I'm pretty sure she stopped working there a couple of years ago).
HSBC Savings Card (cashpoint-only card for an account I don't use any more)

AT&T phone card (only works in the USA, and in fact doesn't even work there any more. I bought it the first time I went there in 2000.)

Ulrich Voigt's business card for Likanas Verlag GmbH (he's a 'mnemonist' from Germany, and a very nice guy in fact despite being so intellectual and disapproving of 'memory sports' as pointless wastes of time. That IS the point! I don't know what his company does, if anything.)

Fiona Samouelle's business card from Michael Page (I think she's left too.)

Lincolnshire County Council library card (surely must have expired by now, I haven't used it in a good ten years or more)

One of my own business cards (I don't know how that got into the pile. I had them printed earlier this year to give to people who give me one. They just say "Ben Pridmore, idiot" and my email address)

Nick Rosen the TV director guy's business card, with an American phone number scribbled on it that might be his or someone else's, I don't remember.

Barclaycard (which I only use when I'm abroad and need to stick something in a machine. Usually for train tickets in Germany.)

A book of first class stamps, seven left.

Business card for someone called Branislav Maricic in some language that I'm guessing is Czech. I think it comes from last year's world memory championships, and he's some kind of journalist, but I might be wrong. On the back are some cryptic notes I've written - "Pack o' cards" "Andy" "375001" "David - person" and "8.30" I have no idea what any of them meant, but I hope I found them useful at some time.

Alina Lord's business card from Nord Anglia PLC. She was one of the former employees at Cheadle who taught me most of what I know about my current job. She was (and presumably still is) Transylvanian and a lot of fun. This card has lots of phone numbers and things scribbled on it - I was using it to record everything important when I first started there.

Lim Teck Hoe's business card from Maximum Recall. He's the Malaysian guy who organised the 2003 WMC and was going to be organising this year's until it all fell through. I've scribbled "445900" on it at some point, for some reason.

Ottakar's book shop Reward Card - get it stamped ten times when you spend £10 or more (before November 2005) and get £15 off future purchases. Woo! It's got one stamp on it.

Mensa membership card. I think this is still valid, I've got a direct debit comes out of my bank account every year, but I didn't tell them my new address when I moved to Derby so I don't get any correspondence.

James Jorasch's business card from Walker Digital Management. The most recent memory guy to give me his card!

Mhairi Fitzpatrick's business card from Michael Page. A hat-trick of Michael Page cards! I think I only spoke to Mhairi once, and she gave me her card anyway.

Midland Bank (yes, Midland, not HSBC, that's how old it is) Pay-In Card. (Came with the British Othello Federation bank stuff when I took over as treasurer. You can only use it to stick in the paying-in machines.)

Burton card, which they gave me the one and only time I've bought anything at Burton's in the last ten years or so (the suit for my dad's funeral. If I ever have occasion to shop there again, I'm sure it'll come in handy.)

I don't think I'll throw anything out, it's kind of fun looking through this stuff and remembering where it came from. I'll keep adding cards to the heap until I can't fit them in a pocket any more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely it would be more efficient to remember all these details than carry the cards around. Or is memory space more of an issue than pocket space?

Anonymous said...

Please explain, "Dragon's..."

Who, or what is the dragon?

I'm confused...this entry should have been titled, "in my pants..."

Zoomy said...

Sorry, I tend to forget that people read this thing who aren't part of my weird social circle. The dragon is me, Zoomy is short for Zoom Zoom, a character from the cartoon series "Pocket Dragon Adventures".

Well, technically, the cartoon character is called Zoom-Zoom with a hyphen, a subtle but important distinction that possibly doesn't really matter that much.

A. said...

You make my day :D

Anonymous said...

Mine too.

If/when I meet you. I will give you a business card.

;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben!

I can help you with two of them ;)

1. Branislav Maricic
He works for Buzan in Serbia. He told me, he expects me or Corinna Draschl to win the event 2006. Soon we will see, if he is an expert or a fool ;)

2. Likanas Verlag
The Likanas Verlag is the private publishing house of Ulrich Voigt. He published two books, yet )in German).

One is called "Esels Welt". There is German word "Eselsbrücke", which means mnemonic-trick. (esel = donkey) And the name of the book is a wordplay.
The book Esels Welt is about the history of memory training and mnemonic-techniques and deals with lots of different people, who wrote about memory and is REALLY GOOD!

The other book is "Das Jahr im Kopf" (the year in your head) about memory tricks for the calender/diary and calculation of the day of the week etc. (lots more) I did not read it yet, but many people say, it is quite good, too.