Saturday, September 10, 2005

Nostalgia & Comics

If Coningsby and Tattershall aren't thriving, Boston is more than making up for it. Coming into the train station this morning, I thought for a moment I'd somehow ended up in the wrong town - they've finally built the new Asda on Sleaford Road, the one that had been in the planning stages for as long as I can remember! They've knocked down all the old derelict buildings that used to greet train visitors to the town, added a new road and made the whole place look a whole lot prettier!

And that's not all. In the less-than-two-years since I was last there, they've also done the Pescod Square development thing that had been talked about for years! Now there's a lovely little pedestrianised area with lots of shiny new shops, with Pescod Hall sitting prettily in the middle. As opposed to the scruffy old car park and building site there was the last time I saw the area. And Boston now has not one but two bookshops! If you'd told me that a couple of years ago when I was living there, I would have called you a raving loony of some kind. Admittedly one of them is a Works, which doesn't really count, but the other is Ottakar's, which definitely does.

And what's more, the 2006 comic annuals are out. It's getting silly, nowadays. Soon they'll be coming out two years in advance of the cover date. But I got the new Broons book and the latest collection of old Broons and Oor Wullie strips, which is great. The latter even contains handy information like the name of the current artist, so now when I complain about his rotten art and campaign to get Ken H Harrison back, I can refer to him as Peter Davidson instead of "PD". And he was the same one who drew the strips, unsigned, in the eighties. I thought he was, but then it might have been someone else using his character designs and style (as opposed to Harrison's VASTLY superior ones).

It rained all day, alternating between downpours and constant drizzle, which made the football pitch a bit heavy going for the poor players. There was no mud, because they're really looking after the ground nowadays, but there were huge puddles dotted around the pitch, despite the best efforts of the people who were out before the game prodding it with rakes.

Rochdale's mascot is a dragon, and a very friendly looking one, too. I don't know his name, but I'd imagine it's Dale. I gave him a quick wave, although it's bad form to cheer on the opposing team's mascot, because us dragons have to stick together. He looked much cooler than BosCat, although the two of them seemed to get on quite well - rather than going around entertaining the crowd before the game, they stood around chatting in a corner of the field most of the time. Makes you wonder what giant cartoony animals talk about when they get together.

As for the actual game, it was great! Noel Whelan put us ahead with an excellent shot early on, but they equalised a couple of minutes later with a soft lob over the head of Nathan Abbey, who'd wandered out of his goal to watch the action. In the second half Rochdale went ahead with a scrambled goal after the ball slipped through Abbey's hands from a corner, but then we got a penalty somehow (I didn't see what the referee had found fault with, but I'm not complaining), which Whelan converted.

Abbey made up for anything he'd done with a couple of great saves, and then Alan White popped up out of nowhere to get the winner. Twenty minutes of somehow not conceding another goal later, Boston had their first win of the season! And all because I went along to watch! My cheering and occasional abuse-shouting made all the difference.

So, a great day all round, although I must get some new shoes. The hole in the sole of my right boot is inconvenient when it's wet. My sock gets soaking wet if my foot goes anywhere near water. Still, it was worth it. I'll have to go to another game or two this season if we're going to avoid relegation...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don,t dispute that Harrison is a fine artist,but his style looked stiff and posed when applied to the Broons and Oor Wullie.Davidson's line is closer to the original and looks better.By the way Davidson is a brilliant all round graphic artist,go to WWW.davidsonart.com you will see what I mean.
Cheers.

Zoomy said...

Thanks for the comment! You're right, Davidson's an excellent artist, judging by the website, with a very impressive range. I was going a bit far calling it 'rubbish', but I still don't like his Broons, though.

The thing is, while it's closer to the original artist, he's copying Watkins's style and character models from the sixties, when he was (forgive the blasphemy) a bit past his best. What was good about Harrison was that he updated the characters' appearance just enough to keep up with the times, but not so much as to lose touch with the fundamental unchangingness of the Sunday Post strips we all love. I think he was at his very best on the Broons and Oor Wullie, and he's completely unsuited for something like Robbie Rebel in the Beano, which just doesn't look 'right' somehow.

In Dudley Watkins's hands for 33 years, the look of the strips was continually subtly evolving, which I think is something people don't appreciate until they go back and look at it. Harrison was, if you ask me, another step along that journey, whereas Davidson, for all his talent, is pretty much stuck in a time warp. Whether that's his idea or the editors', I don't know, but it just bugs me that people think a slavish imitation of the strips from 40 years ago is more in the Watkins spirit than a tiny bit of innovation here and there. My ideal for the Broons and Oor Wullie would still be to get Ken H Harrison back, hopefully cured of his insistence on putting strangely-drawn baseball caps on people.

And there's no excuse for drawing Horace Broon wearing shorts in the 21st century!

Anonymous said...

In the late 60's the Dundee Courier stopped publishing a strip (panel)called Billy and Bunny.Billy wore a Baden Powel hat with a black and white chequered band,Bunny wore a bow tie,jacket,jodpurs,and spats.Bunny was a white rabbit by the way,weird I suppose even at the time it was created,probably late 30's.The strip ended I understand when the second artist on the strip retired.The point I am making is, when do you change a characters 'uniform'?,Mickey Mouse the last time I saw him was still wearing toddler shorts,the Archies look late 50's Scooby Doo 60's, and what about the Simpsons?
It's a dilemma all cartoon editors are aware of. The fact is the readership don't like change, and they know that!Old codgers today,wear baseball caps and rumpled jeans...Grandpa Broon in a baseball cap? mmmmm
Cheers
The last time I saw Horace he was wearing long breeks!progress?..maybe!

Zoomy said...

Actually, the latest Scooby Doo series has modified the costumes a bit - most obviously, Freddy no longer wears that stylish orange cravat of his. But I'd say that's a change for the worse, really...