Saturday, April 15, 2006

I should go there more often

I went to Burton today to get a new bike, since that was as quick as walking to Halfords in Derby, and while I was waiting for it to be ready I had a wander around the shops. And found a really great haul of old cartoons on video in the charity shops and on the market - four of them, costing a total of £3.47!

They're from various video producers of the eighties, and all seem to be made up of basically whichever old cartoons they could lay their hands on when they wanted to make a bit of extra cash - the four tapes claim to be collections of Betty Boop, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and jointly Woody Woodpecker and Felix the Cat, but the first one, which I've just watched over dinner, has three Betty cartoons (Musical Mountaineers, Betty Boop and Grampy and Betty In Blunderland) from the 30s, the Porky Pig cartoon Notes To You from 1941, a Little Audrey cartoon, of all things, from 1950 (Tarts And Flowers), and a great Ub Iwerks toon from 1934, Jack Frost.

And having peeled off the sticker that the charity shop stuck on top of the list of cartoons on the Daffy Duck video to find a title I didn't recognise, it turns out that it's Reducing Creme, another Iwerks from 1934, this time starring Willie Whopper. It's also got Daffy The Commando. I love finds like this!

No comments: