Monday, September 12, 2005

Okay, I love you, b'bye!

Repeats of Animaniacs on Cartoon Network, if you were wondering.

I've got an interview with Nord Anglia on Thursday, which poses the important question: Which tie should I wear? I'm never sure whether to do the sensible, correct thing and wear one of my more boring ties, or to wear my favourite playing-cards one and hope the interviewer's mind works on the same kind of wavelength as mine.

It's not like I've got any completely boring ties, so if the interviewer is super-strict about that kind of thing, I'm scuppered anyway. Besides, I'd like to think that any prospective employer who'd judge me for wearing a strange tie isn't the kind of person I'd want to work for. But on the other hand, I do need a job.

And which shirt do I wear? I own five shirts, and they're all getting on in years now. I wore my decent cream one today, so if I want to wear that on Thursday I'll have to wash it, and I'm not sure I can be bothered. That leaves a grey one, a black one that's slightly too big for me, a black one with no buttons on the cuffs requiring me to hold them together with paperclips, and a white one with one button missing from each cuff, meaning that one is looser than the other. An interviewer who'd notice that really isn't the kind of person I'd want to work for, but it makes me nervous. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the grey one, so I'll probably wear that.

Also, my suit jacket is a noticeably different shade to the trousers, but there's nothing I can do about that, apart from buying some decent clothes, which isn't going to happen. I have a deep-seated psychological resistance to dressing according to other people's standards of smartness.

In other news, the handle's fallen off my good saucepan (ie my saucepan that still had a handle attached. I might have to rename it now). Perhaps I need to buy some new kitchen utensils too.

No comments: