Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I can't get a life if my heart's not in it

I read an article on the internet today about ten things not to do at your job interview, and I was planning on doing all of them. Except the one about wearing too much makeup.

In all seriousness, though, I don't want this job I'm being interviewed for tomorrow. I've looked the company up, and they're in the process of rationalising their operations in order to improve profitability, closing down offices, basically saying exactly the same things Parkhouse have been saying for the last year. And we all know how that ended up. Actually, the Burton office is the place where they're centralising their head office function, it's the poor people based in Cheadle who are the equivalents of us at Derby, but I'd rather not leave one sinking ship for another.

Besides, who wants to live in Burton-on-Trent?

Still, the interview on Ram FM this morning was surprisingly fun. Pete and Deano were both genuinely fascinated by everything I said - the only trouble was that I said most of it off-air. Poor guys, they really want to be on talk radio, but they're obliged to run constant ads and music all morning. Still, we had a good chat in between 30-second bursts of 'officially' talking about memory things.

I'm currently in the middle of an othello tournament on VOG. I generally have a rule of not playing online for a week before an OTB competition, but I decided to break this rule just for the heck of it tonight. I'm a rebel. This will probably have an adverse effect on my play at the weekend (online games are much quicker, less thinking, and it gets my brain into that habit), but my expectations are somewhere close to zero anyway, after that thing in Paris.

I haven't booked a hotel yet - I tried last night, but the website crashed half way through. There's plenty of time yet.

1 comment:

Schecki said...

If you really, really don't want the job, maybe wearing too much make up is the way to go. :)