Thursday, September 15, 2005

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know

Virgin Radio Classic Rock used to be worth listening to. Unfortunately, though, they've now handed it over to Alice Cooper, who is probably the world's worst DJ. I have nothing against his music, he's done some good stuff over the years, but when it comes to hosting a radio show, the poor guy really hasn't got a clue. It's a shame, because I used to have Classic Rock on a lot in the evenings, when they used to just play music without any talk and only occasional adverts. Now the playlist consists of songs that actually fit the definition of 'classic rock', interspersed with Alice's mumblings and confused anecdotes about his musical career.

Still, to cheer me up, I've decorated my flat with this amazing little dragon! His eyes follow you around the room as you walk around, as long as you're walking around with one eye closed.

Oh, and if you were wondering, the interview was quite fun. I don't think they'll offer me the job, but I might possibly consider it now if they did. If nothing else comes along, anyway. I still think I might be on the job market again after six months, but I can always cross that bridge when I come to it. Getting there wasn't much fun - it's been raining all day without a break, and I got soaked cycling there from Burton train station (including a lot of getting lost along the way, which fortunately I allowed plenty of time for). I got even wetter getting back, when the heavy drizzle had upgraded itself to a real downpour. But I was home by 4:30, had a hot shower to ward off pneumonia and had an extra hour or so with the cartoon channels, so I can't complain.

Interestingly, they've removed the bins from Burton-on-Trent train station and put up a sign explaining that this is because of the terrorist attacks in London. I suspect that someone has overestimated the importance of Burton-on-Trent to the country's rail networks. Although the town's main industry is brewing beer, so a well-placed bomb or two could seriously undermine British morale and bring the country to a crashing halt.

Booked my hotel for the weekend, a posh place for a change, because the horrible but cheap hotel I usually stay in is fully booked. So I've splashed out (£69) on the Thistle Victoria. I might write tomorrow about the British Othello Championships like I've been meaning to do for ages. Or then again, I might not. Who knows? I don't plan for the future.

No comments: