Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a Superhuman Genius!



Woo! I got my picture in the Radio Times this time! And an implication that I'm among "the planet's most talented people"! Well, that might not necessarily include me, but hey, I got the picture box! Kim Peek? Hah, just not photogenic enough! Those various child prodigies? Nope, let's go with the memory man in the cool hat!

Actually, I think next Monday is beardy-weirdy day in the Radio Times. Channel 4's picture-slot goes to Rowan Williams, who apparently has fascinating things to say about Charles Darwin, whereas BBC2 has a picture of the Hairy Bikers, who in a move worthy of the title Superhuman Genius have renamed themselves the Hairy Bakers in order to do a programme about bread.

I'm told that last night's "Superhuman: The World's Smallest People" got an audience of 4.4 million, so we need to beat that in order to prove that the world is less interested in freakshow TV than it is in freakshow TV about clever people. I'm sure we can do it - there have been about seventeen different freakshow TV shows about small people lately, and there hasn't been a good genius-themed freakshow since "The Mentalists". So tell all your friends and relatives and nodding-acquaintances to watch next Monday, ITV, 9pm!

And don't listen if they say they want to watch "New Tricks" because they fancy Dennis Waterman, or "Dragons' Den" because they want to see clever people who've actually achieved something in life, or "Before They Were Stars", the Channel 5 programme that is apparently no relation to the BBC's "Before They Were Famous" because they're too stupid to comprehend any more highbrow entertainment. Order them to watch ITV instead. Steal their remote controls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the show also features Kim Peek then, lets hope they don't make out that you have Savant Syndrome Ben as, it's a hard work getting a job then and people may think you are ill or something !

I noticed they said that you can't find a job in their column so hopefully that will be the only negative thing they have to say.

Remember to bring my books please Ben and please treat them with more care on the train than you do your hats and gloves :-)

Dai

SamT said...

I'd be suing them, you HAVE a job just now, you turned down Richard and Judy because of it!!
I won't watch New Tricks then, lol, I'll watch ITV1

Mike said...

Speaking of books, maybe this is a good time to publicise that you have written a book named 'How To Be Clever' and that you just need a publisher now.

Maybe if/when you are on Richard and Judy, it will be because your book is their chosen book for their book club.

Good Luck!

Mikinho

Anonymous said...

You got a name check in the Saturday Mirror TV guide (don't ask me why I was forced to read it)