Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Importance Of Being Zoomy

I sometimes feel like I'm under some kind of obligation to make these blog posts of mine funny and interesting, even on days when nothing out of the ordinary has happened to me, I haven't interacted with any of the interesting people I know, and I haven't even seen anything on TV worth commenting about. But then I remember that the ones where I'm trying to be clever and/or funny are always the worst ones.

Anyway, nothing's happened today that I consider worth talking about, so I thought I'd talk about something that hasn't happened. It hasn't rained here today, although I see from the telly that it's pouring down at Old Trafford (no goals at half-time, although Man U should be expected to beat Lille without too much difficulty). I can't actually remember the last time I had to cycle to or from work in the rain, strangely enough. It has rained, quite a lot, but never during those all-important timeslots between 8:10 and 8:30, and 5:00 and 5:20 on work days. And it doesn't seem to have rained here in Derby anywhere near as much as it has in the rest of the country.

I'm quite impressed by this, really. Possibly someone's installed an impressive system of weather-controlling devices or giant invisible umbrellas in order to make my life slightly easier, or possibly it's just coincidence.

Another day off on Thursday. I'm going to use it for a trial run of the commute to Burton-on-Trent, just to see what kind of time I would get to the office if I catch the train at half past eight (I don't have to start till nine at the new job! Yay!), and then I'm going to do some serious memory practice.

Also, at some time before November 26th, I'm going to practice othello in the kind of professional way that I've always meant to do. I think I'm going to switch to the diagonal opening, and hopefully catch some people by surprise. As long as they don't read this blog, that is.

Just got an email from Step, telling us that he's written a "poem about the assertion that Zoomy has powers a lot like King Midas only much ruder." There's a story behind this that I probably shouldn't go into in such a public forum in case it puts anyone off their lunch, but it just shows the kind of conversations we tend to get into at these meets after a lot of drink and very little sleep. Step wrote me another poem for my birthday, incidentally - that was why he wanted to know the exact details of my age. I'm going to get it framed and hung on my wall, because it's very flattering.

No comments: