Friday, August 19, 2005

Squashed Frogs

Apologies for not posting anything last night - I realise there's a devoted audience out there hanging on my every word, but I was out with the people from work. Actually, I sneaked off at around 10pm, but not before I'd introduced everyone to the delights of squashed frogs, the world's best shot. Always good for a couple of cool points in any social gathering.

So I thought I'd do a bit of blogging from the office, rather than, say, working. I feel justified in this since a) my immediate boss didn't make it in until ten o'clock this morning after last night's shenanigans; b) I would have done it at lunchtime if I hadn't been down the pub celebrating Phil's last day, and it's the thought that counts; c) nobody here is doing any work anyway. The drawback to this is that the IT guys can (and probably will) spy on what I'm doing and so will be reading this, but I don't mind. I'm leaving soon, anyway...

I realised this morning that I still haven't made a decision on whether or not to go to the MSO. But since I would be travelling down there tonight if I was going, I suppose the decision's sort of been made by default. Which means that the thing will be starting some time around now, not graced with my presence for the first time. Very sad. But I really don't want to spend £470 (including the late-entry charge) on a week of games with a handful of other people. I might still go to Paris next weekend for the othello, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

What I'm definitely going to do, hopefully, is get my CV polished up and submitted to a few agencies tonight. Then I can spend next week going round and talking to them and see if there are any jobs going. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm hopeless with interviews, so I think my best bet is still to hang around here till we finish, find a temp job and hope they take me on permanently again. But it's still worth looking around now, just in case my dream job is out there.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Do you know any super-brains from your competitions who could point you in the direction of a job?

It's a shame to be incredibly gifted and not use it to gain fabulous wealth.

There's still the superstar option to fall back on...take 6 months off, travel a bit and then write some memory-type books. Like Gillian McKeith but with brain cells. You are a 'sleb now after all.

Sam said...

I had one with Zoomy and Jenny in Nottingham...