Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Speedy Gonzales, why dontcha come home?

I feel the need to defend Speedy Gonzales. He gets a lot of bad press, and a lot of people are very rude about him, saying either that he's an offensive ethnic stereotype or that his cartoons are dull and repetitive. Or both. He's the only A, B or C-list character who doesn't get so much as a cameo on Baby Looney Tunes, which I think is shockingly unfair. He'd look good babified, possibly with an oversized sombrero.

Also, the DePatie-Freleng era cartoons with Speedy and Daffy aren't nearly as bad as everyone says they are. Okay, the animation's not up to the high standards that had been set over the previous thirty years by the WB studio, and the jokes and set-pieces are mostly stolen from earlier cartoons, but funny is funny, however many times you see it. And 'A Taste of Catnip' is genuinely original and brilliant. And there's nothing wrong with Daffy's characterisation in those cartoons either - he's a complex guy and you can still sympathise with him.


In other news, I seem to have reached the point in time where I was supposed to get my CV together and start looking for jobs. Shudder. I'll do it tomorrow. No I won't, there's a work party thing. The day after. Probably.

No comments: