Sunday, May 21, 2023

Running activities

 Yes, I'm officially back in training! We started out the way I did last year around this time (it was May 19th last year, now I come to look it up. Feels like an eternity ago!) with a Cooper test and maximum push-ups. We're not going to follow exactly the same training regime as last year, but something along the same lines - only this time, I don't have to keep it a secret, and I can tell all my blog-readers about it! Aren't you thrilled?

I don't know who Cooper was, but he/she/it (it might have been the car) decided that the way to test people is to see how far they can run or walk in twelve minutes. Last year I managed to stagger only a short distance (I'm not sure exactly how far, because I didn't have the Runkeeper app yet; I have an idea it was just over 800m), but I worked up to an impressive 1.43km by September. This time, starting off at a comfortable pace, it was 1.21km, which I still think is pretty good for a brisk walk. And since I accidentally set Runkeeper to measure 'running' instead of 'walking', it told me I'd broken all my records for running activities!

But my ability to do push-ups has come on by leaps and bounds. At that first assessment a year ago I managed five before collapsing. At my final assessment in September I did 22. Today it was 25, and I'm sure I can get even better with a bit of regular training! Anyone who shouts "Drop and give me twenty" at me in future will have no cause to complain!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all honesty, when I watched the Amazon program I was impressed with your push-up form.

Zoomy said...

I'm quite impressed with it myself! It's just one of those many useless skills I've acquired over the years, only this one is uniquely physical in nature!