Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fear my memory

Day two of the forcing-myself-to-do-more-memory-training-than-is-sensible-considering-I'm-out-of-practice, and I genuinely think I'm clicking into gear. And even though I accidentally watched the first five minutes of an intriguing Stargate:Universe episode (never watched the series before, but it started out with a murder mystery and I really wanted to find out who dun it) I had enough willpower to turn it off and go and memorise numbers.

I'm not going to blog about memory every night, by the way, I'll revert to general nonsense tomorrow, but I'll post my daily scores as promised:

35.08, 31.84(X), 30.31(X); 3:54.09; 5:31.56/453/360; 9:21.97/1360

(That is, three speed cards attempts, the last two of which had errors - my excuse for the slow times is that I've switched to my brand new, slippery cards and I need to break them in before they get to the kind of state that flutters effortlessly between my fingers; 15 rows of abstract images in just under four minutes (all correctly recalled); 468 digits in five and a half minutes, good enough for a score of 360 in a competition if we'd had an extra 32 seconds; and a better time than yesterday for 1500 binary digits. By the way, I only give myself 15 minutes of recall time for that, which is barely enough to write them all down, to test my immediate short-term memory)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

So what is this memory training you are doing? Are you trying to remember a series of binary digits? It sure sounds interesting but can you explain it a bit more? :)

Zoomy said...

Sorry, I can see how this would be confusing for someone who's come to my blog for the cartoons - when I'm not watching Pocket Dragon Adventures, I'm the World Memory Champion in my spare time. We have memory competitions where we have to memorise long strings of binary digits, packs of cards, random words, things like that. It's fun, if you're strange. Look it up on the internet, or have a look through my old blog posts, there's plenty of memory stuff to be found...

Michelle said...

Well it sure does seem like fun trying to always beat your previous guiness world record score in the memory aspect lol (ok i'm exaggerating a little bit). I'm kinda strange too though cause I have so many different interests cartoons, movies, video games, computers, and software and web development just to give you a relatively broad idea of what I'm interested in. Oh and I decided to start my own cartoon blog about every cartoon from 90's and 2000's that is worthy of doing a blog about (Pocket Dragon Adventures included). Oh and speaking of Pocket Dragon Adventures how is converting those episodes coming? I'll link you to my blog as soon as I add more content to it. Oh and I might need your help on creating a solid pocket dragon adventures episode guide since I haven't seen this show in over 10 years (it's a pity that I live in the U.S. where programming is crap nowadays lol). But my blog would be the only place on the internet where anyone could find an episode guide for this show because I have not found any so far. Oh and by the way if you do want to help me out with my blog then you'll have to give me your email address so that I can place you as a blog author. Oh and by the way if you wanna instant message me sometime using google talk (sorry I don't use AIM) my gmail is highertechcomputers@gmail.com but you'll need to create a gmail account in order to use google talk but a gmail account also makes it easy to work with blogger anyway. Well anyway I hope to hear from you soon and sorry for the ridiculously long post lol.

Philodoof said...

Oh you seem to like this word.^^ (I absolutely had to write that. ;) )

Anonymous said...

Ben,

When doing speed cards do you create a story line for your 3 images at each location, or do you just mentally place them at the locations, or do you do something else entirely?

Zoomy said...

Somewhere in between the two, leaning more on the 'story' side. There's a running story throughout each journey, continuing from one location to the next, but sometimes it's just a case of the images being placed in sequence with nothing really happening to them. It depends which images come up.