Friday, January 19, 2007

Card sharp

I did an hour cards practice today, and got 20 packs, attempting 30. It's annoying how sharply my results drop off, in the longer events especially, when I haven't practiced them for a few months - this was only the second time I've done it since last year's WMC, and I got 17 last week, so at least I'm getting better. I did an hour numbers the other day and got 1480, whereas I've done two half-hour binaries recently and got 2505 and 2715. Not that these are particularly bad scores, but I look on them as a good base to look back on in a couple of months when hopefully after some more training I'll be doing much, much better. Always write your scores down, that's been my motto ever since I first started doing the memory thing. There's no better rivalry than with your past self. You're already envious of his youth and comparative good looks, you see.

Actually, outside of memorising things, my personal motto is "Start with dessert". There is practically no situation to which you can't metaphorically apply that one.

No comments: