Monday, January 15, 2007

Like the corners of my mind

I seem to have written about memory stuff more than is decent just lately. But then, I've been doing a lot of memory stuff recently, so it always tends to be on my mind when I'm blogging. Anyway, while practising spoken numbers today, I tried something a bit different - running all the groups of three images together so that the last of each group was interacting with the first of the next, and so on. It's something I don't normally do when memorising, because it adds a couple of seconds to the time it takes. But in spoken numbers, the whole reason I don't consistently do well at it is that the numbers are coming at a rate of one a second, whereas I like to go through them faster than that. So I have time to spare. And it worked surprisingly well, first time out. I got the first 108 digits perfect, and 185 of the 200 in total. That'd be a decent result at any memory championship (I've done better in practice in the past, but I have a feeling that I could do that kind of thing consistently that way).

I've also been thinking of a new way to memorise pi, which I'm going to play around with before telling Ulrich I'll do his challenge thing. It's the kind of thing that may or may not work at all, but it'll be interesting finding out. And I also have a memory-related problem - I'm doing so much practising these days that I'm reusing journeys before I've completely forgotten what was on them last time. I'm torn between dreaming up a lot more journeys, or just reusing them over and over again until I get over this problem. I think that would work, but I'm not certain.

By the way, is anyone else out there on Myspace? In the past couple of days I've discovered three people I know with Myspace accounts. I've got one myself now, although I don't intend to ever do anything with it. It just seems kind of un-user-friendly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, no Myspace thingamajig for me. See, I figure if more people knew how to contact me, more people would try to contact me -- I’ve found that I don’t like most people, especially those interested in contacting me. =D

Anonymous said...

Hey! You made it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Pridmore

Anonymous said...

Not only that, you're also on the German Wikipedia. Ooo.

Of course as a librarian I view Wikipedia with some suspicion, but still.

"Suspicion" does not look as though it is spelled right.