Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Death of Time

My stopwatch has dropped dead. And I have no idea why, because it's practically brand new. It might just be the battery, but I've trawled through my piles of old junk and I can't find a single other item that takes those little silver disc things (my calculator is a freakish kind of calculator that takes big silver disc things), so despite my efforts in digging up a tiny screwdriver to unfasten the tiny screw that holds the stopwatch's battery in place, I can't put a replacement in to check it.

I also can't find the other stopwatch that I was sure I had - Ferdinand Krause's that he left behind in Cambridge and I haven't had an opportunity to return to him yet. Unless I gave it back to him and forgot about it, but I'm almost certain I didn't, because I remember not bringing it to Stuttgart with me. But it's disappeared now, along with the countless small-battery-powered items I know I must have (my dad was always buying me useless trinkets like miniature calculators). Some malevolent force out there just doesn't want me to be able to time things.

Also, if you mishear a trailer for "Law and Order" and think it says "no underwear", what does that say about your subconscious mind?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Law and Order. No underwear."

I said it in my own accent.

I said it in as many variations of British accents as I dared to try.

I said it in weird accents that I totally made up just for fun.

No, Zoomy.