Friday, December 15, 2006

Because tomorrow, maybe you'll be gone

I've been rereading Runaways today. If you haven't heard of it (and you should have done, because I only mentioned it here the other day), it's an absolutely fantastic sort-of-superhero comic about a gang of teenagers who discover that their parents are supervillains. It occurred to me the other day that of all the comics I read every month, Runaways is the only one that leaves me thinking 'oh, wow, what's going to happen next?' And that's something that all comics should do, in my opinion. It's quite deliriously well-written by Brian K Vaughan, with a wide range of compelling and likeable characters (even the bad guys) and storylines that are sheer genius. Everybody should read it, and you're welcome to borrow my copies any time you like.

I've also been rereading Commander Kitty, which hasn't been online for a long, long time now. I wouldn't particularly recommend it to people in this format, since (and this is fairly typically eccentric of Scotty Arsenault) it's been set up so you can only read random episodes rather than seeing them in order, but you've got to love anything that can come up with dialogue like:

"Don't you care that there's a ferret in the turret?"
"I was unaware that there was a ferret in the turret! Mouse, next time just say 'beware, there's a ferret in the turret!'"
"I swear, if you ensnare another ferret in the turret..."
"His name is Socks, okay?"

It also coined the phrase 'a metric buttload', which to this day I work into conversations wherever possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Noticed in an October 2005 blog that you had the Back to the Future board game. Any interest in selling it? I'm trying to find one so I can use it as a gift.
Owen

Anonymous said...

I have to ask: How do you make links on your posting? Like you've done on this post. Thanks! And have a nice day :)