Friday, October 13, 2006

Can you change your age by deed poll?

It's not that I'm disturbed about turning thirty. It's just that it sounds so, well, grown-up. It's like overnight I'll turn from a young man-about-town in my twenties into a thirtysomething fit only for a sitcom about not being young any more. It's getting to the point where my favourite complaint that I'm ten times older than I want to be STILL makes me sound really quite old, comparatively speaking.

Is it still possible to become famous after thirty years as a nonentity? Well, almost a nonentity. I've got a wildly-inaccurate stub on Wikipedia nowadays, after all, that's fairly famous. And a full entry on the German version. And five shiny tropies sitting on top of my kitchen cupboard. And the genuine intention of writing a best-selling book at some point in the future. That surely counts as being famous. I still want to be a pop singer and a racing driver and a football player and the Pope, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ben!
You have all time of the world to become a pop singer, racing driver and so on, although I don't know about being the Pope! I wish you a very very Happy Birthday! By the way, don't think turning 30 is bad, just wait till you click 40! Still sounds terrible to me ;-)
Happy Birthday, health & may your wishes come true!
Greetings from Germany!
Mike