Saturday, February 25, 2006

Something slightly concerning that just occurred to me

Nord Anglia plc's financial year ends on August 31st. They'll want the annual accounts done as quickly as possible after that date, no doubt. The World Memory Championships start on September 1st, in Malaysia. I'll be wanting time off to go there and get back, and recover from jetlag, and after I get back I'll inevitably be pestered by newspapers and things (who always refuse to leave me alone for the week or so after the competition, especially if I win). There's going to be a serious conflict of interests here.

Actually, I've always kind of wanted to hand in my notice because my job was getting in the way of my hobbies. It's possible that I might have a chance. I'll leave it a while before I discreetly enquire about how cool the bosses are likely to be about the whole thing.

On the other hand, I'm in a really great memory mood today - I've been properly training the long events for the first time in a while, and I beat my world record in binary (with 3845), and almost certainly beat the world record in hour cards too, although I haven't had a chance to check them yet (trying for 30 packs, and there's at least a chance that I recalled them all correctly). More importantly, if I do an hour numbers tomorrow, and maybe something else like names and faces too (if I'm really feeling good), I'll have done the kind of weekend routine that I was doing a couple of years ago but haven't been able to fully get back in the swing of since then.

I know there aren't many people in the world who enthuse about their ability to sit down for three hours memorising and recalling playing cards, but hey, each to his own. And I think it's pretty darn cool.

No comments: