Friday, March 25, 2022

The dangers of memory

 I just noticed a fun letter in Synapsia magazine, summer 1991, about the imminent first World Memory Championships (which had just been moved from Rome to London and dropped all mention of $10,000 prize money). From one Caro Ayre, it says:

I fear that there is a danger that some contestants in these events will devote too much time and effort perfecting a particular feat, to the point where "normal life" ceases. Will they become famous? Probably. But will they live fulfilled and rewarding lives, or will they be stuck with a shallow self promoting existence, which will preclude emotional fulfilment? No doubt there will be some with a well rounded disposition who will use their skills outside the competitive field. But there will be others for whom winning will become of such importance that failure could destroy them.

I hope I'm one of the well-adjusted, emotionally fulfilled ones, but since I make a point of not using my skills outside the competitive field, I think I must be one of the others. So I hope everybody's going to let me win in memory competitions from now on! Failure could destroy me!

No comments: