Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Old-timers

I think we all need to give a round of applause to Paul Bastock, long-time star player of Boston Utd, who's just played his record-breaking 1,250th game at the age of 47. Old people [which means anybody older than me] who are still playing football impress me enormously, so we also need a round of applause for the most successful player ever to emerge from the unpromising football wasteland that is Boston's school system (my mum used to teach him English, or at least be an English teacher at the school while he was there... okay, it's a tenuous claim to fame, but it is one), Julian Joachim - also still regularly playing at the age of 43.

I sometimes think that if I win the lottery or otherwise get access to unlimited amounts of money and power (I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it), I'd buy Boston United and make it into a world-beating, properly-run club. If I do, those two can be on the board of directors. And still play for the club if they want, as well.

No comments: