Thursday, March 18, 2010

Times tables

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to the Mental Calculation World Cup. It only happens every two years, and I couldn't go to the last one because I didn't have any money, so I haven't actually done any mental calculating since 2006. I'll be completely rubbish and come last, most likely.

On the other hand, it's rather groovy to be there anyway - it's much more elitist than the World Memory Championship, they only allow a maximum of 40 people to compete, and they reserve the right to choose which applications to accept ("they" is a guy called Ralf, by the way), and I'd get in by virtue of my amazing memory skills and my less amazing mental calculation skills, so I'd get to look down my nose at the people (if any) who wanted to compete but couldn't.

Still, I'm undecided. I'd have to do a whole lot of practice, and frankly I've still got that motivation problem with the memory stuff, so I don't need anything else to distract me. I've got another week-and-a-bit to make my mind up, I'll see how I feel...

1 comment:

Memoryking said...

Ben,
I think you will need to get motivated to train. The Chinese will be desperate to win on their home patch and I expect them to smash records in the number events.

You may even find they catch you up in the cards.

I hope the above motivates you to get back into some tough training. I think you'll be surprised at the improvement in the top Chinese competitors.