Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Blow me down

Well, England made a complete mess of the football, didn't they? Ah well, that means I won't spend so much time watching matches on telly instead of practicing for the world championship. And Germany DID qualify, so all my rivals will be too distracted by football and will be rubbish at memorising things! See, there's a good side to everything!

Also, I'm not too unhappy at the result because I've just bought the collection of old Popeye comic strips, and it's fantastic stuff. I had considered boycotting it on some sort of moral principle because I would have preferred them to reprint Thimble Theatre from the beginning rather than start with Popeye's first appearance (I feel deeply sorry for Ham Gravy, the original star, and think he deserves some time in the limelight after all these years), but I decided that was silly. And I'm glad I did, because there's lots of good reading there. I'd really love to do a daily comic strip, and who knows, maybe some day I'll get round to doing that webcomic I've occasionally talked about for years now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor England..I'm deeply distressed! Of course i'm not! Although it wrong of me to gloat, I believe the last time we qualified for anything was 1958!

Anonymous said...

England not qualifying for the finals of a footy tournament generally doesn't mean that good fortunes in Othello. In 1993 (when england failed to qualify for the following year's world cup) meant a poor performance in that year's worlds.