Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Spoiler alert

Wow, I sound like one of those nerds who post to message boards about comics. Granted, I sound like that when I post nerdy things to message boards about comics myself, but I'm pretty sure I've never used jargon like 'spoiler alert' on my blog before. Hopefully I never will again.

But I think it's now acceptable for me to talk Torchwood. As I'm writing this I'm watching the repeat of the first episode on proper telly, so nobody in Britain has any excuse for not having seen it before reading this. As for the rest of you, well, that's what the alert was for. It's not just window-dressing.

Actually, all I wanted to say, apart from the fact that it was really, really great, is that the BBC's advance publicity was brilliant. This is the spoiler part - one of the Torchwood team dies at the end of the first episode as part of the final (really cool) plot twist. In all the hype, including a big feature in the Radio Times, they talked about this character as if they were going to be one of the regulars, so as not to spoil the surprise. I was impressed. Especially since the Radio Times spoiled the surprise death of Tara in Buffy the Vampire Slayer for me. They're back on my Christmas list now.

As for Torchwood, I should just add that there were so many little funny lines and cool moments that I lost count. Very Russell T Davies. It's going to be a highlight of the week from now on.

No comments: