Monday, October 16, 2006

Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

Okay, I didn't post anything last night. I was still recovering from the party. For that matter, I'm still recovering from the party now. It was great!

Could it possibly be described as a party of geeks when you do something like this - Jack got dropped off by a taxi at number 49 instead of number 429, and to get her to the right place involved co-ordinating maps and directions using two laptops and at least three mobile phones. It was like mission control at NASA. Although all the technology also came in handy when we urgently needed to track down an off licence that sold midori.

We also spent quite a long period of time tracking down an old friend of ours who we suspected might be dead. It turned out he probably isn't, or at least that if he is, nobody's changed his answering machine message.

This has been my first official day of not working, but it doesn't technically count as such, because this was a recovering-from-party day that it was quite legitimately okay to spend mostly in bed. Tomorrow is the real start of the big adventure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I was reading this my IT helpdesk phone rang. The person said.

"Father John?"
Then I said "Father John?"

Then they said "wrong number" and hung up.

Naturally I was quite taken aback.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there, for all of the reasons you already know.

Anonymous said...

I once had someone ring me and say: "Is Fred there?" When I said "no" they wrongly interpreted it as that he was out, rather than that he didn't live there at all. They then proceeded to leave me a long message for him which I immediately forgot.

Anonymous said...

People are bothersome, I don't like people.

Zoomy said...

Of course, the spooky thing is that the possibly-deceased friend we rang is called John, and has been known to go by the name of Father Shamus O'Bugger. So it's an omen of some kind. Presumably involving a ghost who likes setting lateral thinking puzzles rather than just saying hello.