Sunday, September 25, 2005

I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops

How am I expected to achieve anything in life when there's Looney Tunes all day on Boomerang and two hours of Kids Next Door on Cartoon Network? Actually, Cartoon Network are bugging me slightly by showing KND episodes at random in no particular order. There are continuing storylines and character development that are spoiled by that kind of thing. Some people just don't take cartoons seriously enough. Still, suffice to say I haven't done anything this weekend at all. But it's given me something to think about. With an overdose of cartoons comes a lot of adverts in between, ripe for studying and critical analysis.

For example, Coco Monkey and his gang sing "We'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops" at the end of every advert, a jingle that no longer makes any sense. It's been nearly twenty years since they were offered any alternative foodstuff compared to which they could express their preference for chocolate flavoured rice-based breakfast cereal. The original batch of adverts, which came out when I was in primary school, consisted of a character introducing themself, describing their staple diet and finishing with the famous catchphrase. Being the kind of person who memorises things, I can still remember most of the lyrics:

"My name's Coco, I'm a monkey like you. I live in the jungle, not in the zoo. I lived on leaves when there weren't any shops, but I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops!"

I might have to revise my standard answer to interviewers who ask if I've always been interested in memorising. I did always make a point of learning all the words to advertising jingles. That said, I can't remember the less-memorable sequels to the original Coco advert as clearly. Ozmelda Ostrich's one ended "I eat plants when they're not in pots, but..." and the giraffe, whatever it's called, was "For breakfast I have two tree tops..."

I don't think poor old Ozmelda has had a single line in an advert since her first appearance, but she's always in the background to this day. Anyway, the point I was making is that the Coco Pops adverts nowadays have degenerated into bad-guy-tries-to-steal-the-cereal antics, just like every other advert in the world. They used to be more varied. And if you've just thwarted a crocodile's attempt to purloin your breakfast, you don't quip "I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops!" It's a complete non-sequitur, for crying out loud!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow I love your throught on this, yes advertising is getting boring, but we the consumers still fall for it just long enough to empty our pockets, as for the cartoons i feel i can speak for most cartoon lovers when i say it is annoying and off putting when the play them out of order anyway love your veiw keep em coming

Unknown said...

You replied to a 15 year old post (6 years at the time of posting) which I find to be amazing. I don't really know how I stumbled upon this website,but what I do know is that coco pops is no longer what it used to be.They have completely ruined the flavour by taking out 30% of the sugar! Completely dissapointed and I now eat Morrison's choco crackles as an alternative.They just had to change the formula didn't they?

Zoomy said...

So, what you're saying is you'd rather NOT have a bowl of coco pops?

Anonymous said...

I'm not the Anon above but I have to be real with you. I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops than wolf down a slim jim. Coming from an Englishman that doesn't know what a slim jim is I think that this really emphasises my point in the matter by providing a completely useless piece of information and by staying entirely neutral I can slowly compound my money and buy all the Coco Pops I want! Even Mr Coco and Mrs Pops would be shocked. It is extremely easy to become a millionaire in modern times with cryptocurrency albeit extraordinarily risky if you are dealing with Defi (maybe I should become a rapper??) although I must admit not all Defi projects are risky, when you are dealing with Uniswap where anything can be listed, it is always better to lean on the side of caution. I recommend listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcgd1oCbW4g and relaxing for a minute to take a moment out of your busy (or not busy) day and listening. My personal favourite is K.310 although all are fantastic. If you put your mind to it and choose to learn you can join the millionaire club, there are opportunities everywhere you look you just have to take them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're more into chocolate salty ball's.. screw you guy's, I'm going home...

Anonymous said...

Craig brackenridge btw stranraer