Friday, March 04, 2022

Not as cool as Dr Crippen

 If you do get lost looking for me and end up in Australia, as detailed yesterday, then I suppose you could do worse than checking out the black sheep of the Pridmore family, as seen here on the "Twisted History" website. I don't know if they actually do 'murder tours' to see the site of what seems to be a fairly unexceptional murder - they seem to mainly focus on ghost tours and the like - but you never know.

It's not a particularly pleasant or even exciting story, is it? Still, he's a relative, and one in a much more exotic location than you'll normally find for my family tree. Moving from Bourne to Sheffield was the biggest relocation for my branch until I came along...

There are quite a lot of branches of the Pridmore family that come from my fertile great-great-great-great-grandfather, James Pridmore (1777-1848). He had around sixteen children with his two wives - the four most notable from the second marriage are:

Jane (born 1816), my great-great-great-grandmother, who kept the Pridmore name intact by having an illegitimate daughter who in turn had an illegitimate son;

Thomas (born 1820), the great-great-great-grandfather of Robert Craig, who has a really great website full of family tree detail and is a very nice person all round;

James (born 1821), the patriarch of the other family of Pridmores who moved to Sheffield, who really make family tree research more confusing than it needs to be;

And the youngest of the big family, Henry (born 1830), who emigrated to Australia with his baby son John, future author of the Brunswick Tragedy.

It would be nice if I had relatives who'd done really cool things that made them famous, but you take what you can get when you're researching family trees.

No comments: