Saturday, December 30, 2017

Keep on running, keep on hiding

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (by the Spencer Davis Group), I really really love the new Runaways comic from Marvel, and I urge you all to go out and start buying it, if you didn't do that a couple of months ago when I told you to. Long-time readers of my blog (or else readers who know how to read my old posts or type things in the Search box) will remember that eleven years ago I was always saying how great I thought Runaways was and how terrible it was that the Brian K Vaughan / Adrian Alphona era was coming to an end. Well, now under Rainbow Rowell and Kris Anka, it's essentially back! And better than ever!

Seriously, it's as if the glory days of Runaways are here again - not achieved by resetting the whole thing and ignoring everything that's happened to the characters since 2007, but by showing that their many experiences (some of them really badly written and not recommended at all) have changed them, and building on the whole thing in perfectly in-character and fascinating and entertaining ways. They've grown and developed (and died and come back to life a few times each, as is the way with superheroes) and now they're moving on in exactly the way they should. I love it.

No comments: